Thursday, February 21, 2008

Introducing Lea Brave in "Winter Blooms"


A poem about change for children and the adults who read to them...

What a marvelous, scrumptious, mighty cool day!
Leaves are flying every which way.
They snap, pop and fly off the trees.
Swirling, twirling, dancing with ease.

Fall!
Fall!
Fall!
I scream.

We go for a walk and I’m all bundled up.
A warm comfy blanket and a bright sippy cup.
I see piles and piles of multi-colored leaves.
Red, yellow, orange, brown and green.

Fall!
Fall!
Fall!
I sing.

A few big leaves fall into my stroller.
Pick one up to give to Mrs. Broder.
My teacher says four seasons come and go.
Saying goodbye is saying hello.

Fall!
Fall!
Fall!
I go.

Every thing, everything must change, Mom explains.

Just before we turn to go back
Mom stops short, frozen in her tracks-
Bending way over, I am trying to see-
What’s that? What’s that? I plead.

My goodness! she exclaims
This is really very strange!

Out of my stroller, she points me to the bush
The leaves are gone, but take a good look!
Dead in the center is a very unexpected thing
Growing right there is a little patch of Spring!

Tiny fresh buds all dressed in pink-
Maybe five or six of them nestled in green!

Amazing! We both say, simultaneously.

After that, we could not leave that spot.

Everything for that moment had just stopped.

Until a neighbor passed us by
He began to look at the bush that had stolen our eyes
After staring at Spring for a second or two-
He and my mother didn’t quite know what to do.

So, we kept walking further a way.

Back in the stroller, I continued to sing

Fall!
Fall!
Fall!
I screamed.

Red, brown, orange, yellow and green.

While the super strong sun got my legs hot
I took off the blanket and asked my mother to stop
Let’s change the song! I started to say -
Isn't it time to sing a slightly different way?

Fall!
Fall!
Fall!
I think.

Red, brown, orange, yellow, green and PINK!

Come on Mom, sing this new song with me!

Red, brown, orange, yellow, green and PINK!

Mommy got caught a bit by surprise-
Startled, she looked deep, deep into my eyes.
She knew just then that somehow I knew
That perhaps this winter –

Pink flowers will bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment